Envirocare HOSTED MAMA ARDHI ALLIENCE MEETING
Envirocare held a meeting with the members of Mama Ardhi Alliance on 30th of August, 2018. About 30 members from various organizations met to discuss on how to continue advocating for women land and property and inheritance rights.
Who is mama Ardhi?
Drawing on their extensive experience working with men, women and communities in rural areas on property and land rights, five Tanzanian rights-based groups founded the Mama Ardhi Alliance in late 2013, joining forces to advocate for enhanced gender-equitable land and property ownership policies and practices in Tanzania. Along with other advocates, Mama Ardhi played an instrumental role in successful efforts to ensure that provisions enshrining women’s rights to land ownership were included in the new proposed constitution 2014 passed by the Constitutions Assembly in the same year. Mama Ardhi members continue to advocate for additional changes in policy and practice that will bring about real transformation for women, men, their children and society as a whole.
Participants from various organizations who attended Mama Ardhi Alliance meeting at Envirocare office, Makongo juu, Dar es salaam.
Why advocate for women land, property and inheritance rights?
Women in many developing counties in the world are denied equal right to access, use, inherit, control and to own land. It is estimated that almost 43 percent of agricultural work force are women according to Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO).
Also there are discriminatory customary laws which deny women their right to own and inherit land. And where the laws does not discriminate women also its implementation, enforcement and regulation can be one of the reason of denying women their right to own land. Due to these circumstances, Envirocare continued to advocate for women land, property and inheritance rights in Kilindi and other parts of Tanzania.
The main objective of the meeting was to bring Mama Ardhi Alliance members together in order to strategies on the best way of advocating for women land and property rights,. Also to raise awareness on women environmental justice and economic empowerment through gender value chain.
In the meeting Mama Ardhi members had the opportunity to learn and discuss the role of each organization in promoting their agenda. Each organization presented their activities according to Mama Ardhi strategic plan.
Experience on advocating for women land rights in Kilindi
Envirocare have been advocating for women land rights in kilindi district for almost ten years. Envirocare decided to engage in advocacy for women rights after realizing that women in Kilindi District were unable to access and enjoy their land, property and inheritance rights.
Impact of Envirocare land campaign in Kilindi district
Reports show that the awareness of women to own and inherit land has increased compared to the time before Envirocare intervention.
- Economic empowerment, women have formed entrepreneurship groups and are engaging on economic activities such as agriculture, petty trades such as selling foods, selling of honey, and agricultural products.
- Access and Use of their land, currently some women can access and use their land which they have obtained by the way of buying from the village governments.
- Improved livelihood, the level of living of women also has improved. Their level of education has improved and they are now capable of paying for the school fees of their children.
- Participating in National programs such as National Agriculture Show famously known as Nane nane exhibition at Morogoro. The women who participated got an opportunity to show and sell their products such as bee wax, honey, and traditional bee hives.
- The Mama Ardhi alliance members all together agreed to add efforts in advocating for women land rights in their areas of operation.
- Fundraising for one purpose of advocating for women land, property and inheritance rights in Tanzania.
- To build a strong movement which involves both men and women to create balance which reflect African culture?